Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Not for Nothin'

One of the most useful phrases in the world is, "Not for nuthin." We have to make the distinction here between "Not for nuthin," and "Not for nothing." The latter is an archaic phrase found in English literature which means, roughly, there is a reason for something, as in, "Not for nothing did Lancelot offer aid to the maiden Guinevere. For he sought her affection in return for his."

But, not for nuthin' means so much more. It's chock full of meaning and rich in implications. It means, "Look, I don't mean any disrespect and I have your best interest entirely in mind when I tell you this." As in, "Hey, not for nuthin', but that tie makes you look like a jerk."

It might also mean, "I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble but you should know this. "Not for nuthin, but Guido was pokin' around the petty cash box last night."

I also means, I'm not being critical. I'm just making an observation. "Not for nuthin' but that guy Ernie talks like he's got a dozen golf balls in his mouth."

I've even heard it used to combine an expression of admiration with a pre-emptive defense against an accusation of laciviousness. "Not for nuthin' but that girl down the hall... hoo HOO!"

In short, there are few more versatile phrases in the English language. Not for nuthin'. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment